What should I make next?

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Summer Shrimpy Shrimp Salad

When the sous chef is away, kate will play...with things he cannot eat! 

When Ian is away I try to use those times to eat some yummy shrimp shrimp. Mr. Sous Chef is allergic to shellfish so shrimp is never on the menu for us. I keep hearing about coconut oil and how its a great oil to cook with. I recently learned that you aren't supposed to cook olive oil on high heat because it releases a toxic smoke and loses its antioxidants. You should only use olive oil on low to medium heat or cold. If you are cooking on medium to high heat use unrefined coconut oil. Here's a helpful article. I recently picked some up at Trader Joes for pretty cheap and I have been trying to find recipes to use it in. I found a great shrimp recipe on nytimes website. I was trying to think of what I should pair it with and I thought of the great orzo salad I made over Memorial Day Weekend. So I grilled up some corn in my cast iron skillet, diced some avocado and served over orzo. Add some toasted flatbread, oh man it was to die for!!!

Servings 2-3
Ingredients
For the shrimpy shrimp
2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
6 scallions, white parts thinly sliced; dark green parts sliced and reserved
1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Shrimp, enough for two people (25-30 of small shrimp)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

rest of the meal
3/4 cup orzo, uncooked
1 avocado, diced
1 ear corn, cut corn off cob
1 flatbread

Directions
1. In a large pot, cook orzo according to directions.
2. Cut your corn off the cob and roast in a cast iron skillet on medium heat. Try not to stir the corn too much so that it browns. You can also BBQ the corn if you can. You can also use canned corn if you're desperate and roast it in the oven. 
My pretty cast iron skillet which I realized has never had its picture taken!!
3. Cut your avocado in cubes. 
4. Brush your flatbread with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil in oven.

For the Shrimp:
1. Chop up your ginger, garlic and green onions. The shrimp part takes less than 5 minutes so everything has to be ready.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the coconut oil in the pan. 
3. Add the white scallion slices, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, about 30 seconds.

4. Add the coriander and cook 30 seconds more.

5. Add the shrimp and salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, about 2 to 3 minutes. 

6. Stir in the green scallion pieces and cook until just wilted, 10 to 15 seconds.

7. Add lemon juice and black pepper. 
 
Grab your bowl: add some orzo, corn, avocado and put the shrimp mixture on top. Serve with flatbread on the side!
If you love shrimp and freshly grilled corn then you have to try this. I don't know what the coconut oil and coriander did to that shrimp but it was delicious!
the un-instagrammed version but still pretty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment