What should I make next?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Parmesan-Gruyère Gougères (French Cheese Puff Pastry)



I had the night to myself and I wanted to make something new with only ingredients I had in the house. I had just splurged on a chunk of Gruyere cheese and I had leftover Parmesan from the EPFs so I googled “Gruyere and Parmesan.” This is the recipe I found: http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2010/12/27/parmesan-gougeres/  With no necessary trip to the store I went for it! Besides, anything with Gruyere is good.

Parmesan-Gruyere Puffs!

Ingredients
1 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1 cup flour
3 large eggs
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup shredded Gruyère Cheese
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add water, butter and black pepper to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.


2. Add flour all at once, and using a wooden spoon, continue to stir over medium heat until mixture comes into a ball, about 2 minutes. Let cool at least 5 minutes.
3.  Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well to incorporate each egg into the dough before adding the next. Add both cheeses and mix well.



4. Use a pastry bag and drop dough onto parchment paper on cookie sheet the size of grape tomatoes. If using a spoon, only use one level tablespoon of dough per gougères.




5.  Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then turn oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20 more minutes, or until golden brown.

Review
Yum yum yum! When I pulled these out they were still a little doughy on the inside but I figured they would continue to cook afterwards and they did. I had about 6 and I was done. They aren’t that complex but I think they would be great with soup or with a meal. You can also make them bigger, sandwich size, and put some ham, lettuce and Dijon on it. This made about 40 so I will be sharing some with my coworkers tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment