What should I make next?

Monday, November 14, 2011

Welsh Rabbit


Welsh Rabbit (Rarebit)


My favorite breakfast growing up!
My dad used to make this for us on the weekend when I was growing up. It was my favorite breakfast! I would have a toasted bagel with scrambled eggs on top and then pour this sauce over it. My mom sent me a recipe of it but I tried it about a year ago and it wasn’t quite the same. So I tried again, this time with an altered Pioneer Woman recipe. I added more Worcestershire sauce and substituted beer for red wine (I’m fairly certain he used wine). I also omitted the cayenne, because I didn’t have any (I’ll have to pick that up at the store!). Here is my second trial recipe below but look for more trials in the future!

Ingredients

§  2 Tablespoons butter
§  2 Tablespoons flour
§  1/3 cup milk
§  1/3 cup red wine (I used Merlot)
§  1 teaspoon (heaping) dry mustard
§  1/2 teaspoon paprika
§  4-6 dashes Worcestershire
§  1 cup Mexican cheese blend
§  1 whole egg yolk

Instructions
1.       Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
2.       Sprinkle in flour and whisk together until combined. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
3.       Pour in milk and wine, whisking constantly, and cook for an additional minute. Add mustard, paprika and whisk.
4.       Add cheese and whisk slowly, cooking for a couple of minutes or until smooth, melted, and very hot.
5.       Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolk.
6.       Serve immediately (while hot) over scrambled eggs and toast.

Consensus

I made this for myself on a lazy Sunday morning and definitely enjoyed it. I made scrambled eggs and toasted my crostini bread that I used for the spinach artichoke dip. It still wasn’t up to my dad’s recipe; I think it needs different cheese (I think I will try extra sharp cheddar next) and more Worcestershire. I will probably add some cayenne to it as well. I took the leftovers to Ian and he enjoyed it the last time we made it so I’m pretty certain he will like this version as well. I mean, anything is better than Top Ramen right? Just kidding Ian!

No comments:

Post a Comment