What should I make next?

Monday, November 14, 2011

homemade hummus


homemade hummus

I forgot to take a picture of mine so I stole this from the internet. Roasting the pine nuts is a great idea though! 


I have wanted to make homemade hummus for a very long time. It’s something that I eat quite often but I usually only buy it when it’s on sale. My favorite brand is the Sabra with pine nuts but it’s expensive so I go with Athenos or Fred Meyer brand. So since I started this cooking blog I figured it was about time to save myself some money and make my own! I did go all out and bought some pine nuts to put in it J


Ingredients

§  2 cans Garbanzo Beans, Rinsed And Drained
§  1/3 cup Tahini
§  3 cloves minced Garlic
§  1/2 whole Lemon, Juiced (or 2-3 TBS of lemon juice)
§  1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin, Or More To Taste
§  Salt To Taste
§  Fresh Basil Or Italian Parsley (or dry)
§  3 Tablespoons To 5 Tablespoons Cold Water (I had to use more)
§  1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (I used more)

Instructions
1.       Combine chickpeas with all ingredients, except water and olive oil, in a blender or food processor. I only have a Magic Bullet and a very small food processor and neither of them worked for this step. I suggest using a blender in which case go by the recipe and hopefully it will work out.
2.       Pulse until mixture becomes somewhat smooth and combined, but do not over mix. You just have to play with it in order to get all the beans blended.  
3.       Add water as necessary to facilitate blending. At the end, add olive oil and pulse no more than three times, just to incorporate. I had to add a lot more water and olive oil just to get it to mix.
4.       Pour mixture into a bowl and stir to ensure mixture is combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to three days in the fridge. I mixed in pine nuts (roast them if you have time) and also sprinkled pine nuts on top.

Consensus
I took this up to the mountain on our visit to my Godparents Mike and Cathie.  Ian and I drove up to Welches to see their new cabin (which is big and awesome) and I decided to bring this hummus and the spinach artichoke dip. I served the hummus with pita chips, carrots, broccoli and celery. Everyone thought it was great! I thought it could have been creamier though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment