What should I make next?

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Cashew Chicken


I went through an Asian recipe mood for awhile and I wanted to make Cashew Chicken. I love having cashews or peanuts in my Asian dishes but the first recipe I tried just wasn't up to par for Ian and I. It was a little bit too healthy I think. So I searched and searched for a different recipe to try. There are a lot of variations... So I found this one when my friend Anna came to visit for my birthday. It was a success and the secret is hoisin sauce! Never cooked with it? Don't be afraid, it's a little expensive but definitely worth it. 


Ingredients
¾ cup roasted, unsalted cashews 
2 servings of chicken breasts or tenders (enough for two people)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 medium garlic cloves, minced (use a garlic press)
3 green onions
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons hoisin sauce (check the Asian section)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon sesame oil

Directions
1. Place chicken pieces in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat evenly.
2. In a large skillet, heatthe vegetable oil over high heat until very hot. Add garlic. Cook the chicken in it until it is browned on the outside but don't cook all the way through. 
3. Turn heat down to medium and add the rice vinegar; cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and water; cook, tossing, until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the green onions, cashews and sesame oil. Make sure your chicken is cooked all the way through!

No comments:

Post a Comment